12 Considerations For Choosing An Ibogaine Provider
There are hundreds of Ibogaine treatment centers worldwide, so picking the right one for you might take some time. Overall, we recommend you research your desired treatment center thoroughly, reading testimonials and reviews and making sure they know what they’re talking about. Ideally your treatment center would be familiar with some clinical guidelines for Ibogaine treatment, such as those published by the Global Ibogaine Therapy Alliance (GITA). You should be totally confident that an Ibogaine treatment center is professional, employs well-trained staff and will make your safety and recovery an absolute priority.
Identifying Candidate Providers
It’s recommended that you begin the selection process by identifying 2-3 candidate providers who provide treatment targeted to your specific condition and may meet other criteria such as location, cost range, etc.
Ibogaine therapy treatment is an elective medical procedure and as with to any such procedure, due diligence in selecting your provider is important. The following considerations will help you make an informed decision when choosing an Ibogaine provider:
Treatment and Therapy Program
Although largely unregulated, provider consensus and best practices around a safe and effective ibogaine therapy treatment model is emerging. This model is based or aligned closely with the clinical guidelines published by Global Ibogaine Therapy Alliance (GITA). A summary of this model includes:
- Assessing the patient’s specific condition, drug use, medical history and suitability for ibogaine therapy treatment.
- Exhaustive pre-screening and medical tests with a focus on identifying any risks or conditions that the patient would be exposed to.
- Physical and psychological preparation for treatment.
- Administration of ibogaine hydrochloride of suitable dosage in a clinical medical environment by qualified medical personnel.
- Patient monitoring in a clinical medical environment by qualified medical personnel.
- A recovery and support service as the patient heals and begins to integrate their ibogaine therapy experience.
- Typical duration of Ibogaine therapy is 7 days. A more extended therapy is sometimes warranted for certain drugs such as methadone, suboxone and stimulant type drugs.
Staff Qualifications and Training
Typical of any medical procedure, the medical qualifications and experience of staff involved in the program delivery are paramount. Although not all staff need to be medically trained, it is recommended that the provider’s key personnel i.e.; director, head nurse and support staff have the requisite medical training, qualifications and experience. Has the providers’ staff received training specific to Ibogaine treatment such as that offered by IbogaSafe?
Equally important as medical staff qualification is the venue/facility in which ibogaine is administered and the subsequent monitoring. Ideally Ibogaine therapy should take place in a clinical medical environment with associated medical equipment for safe administration, monitoring and emergency response. Although not as critical, many facilities ask prospective clients to conduct pre-screen testing before traveling to the Ibogaine provider.
Ibogaine treatment is unique in the potentially adverse impact on the cardiovascular system. For this reason, it is important to consider the provider’s readiness to recognize and response to such an adverse event. Does the provider have emergency equipment? Is there a defined emergency protocol in place? Are the personnel trained in emergency response? A final consideration is access to ambulatory, hospital and emergency services. Ideally the location of the clinical facility should be within reasonable and normal proximity to such services.
Although safe and effective Ibogaine therapy treatment is the primary service, it’s important to consider associated ancillary services from the provider and how the provider’s service is integrated into a holistic recovery model. For instance:
- What psychological and/or psychotherapy services are available prior to treatment to assist preparing for treatment?
- What psychological and/or psychotherapy services are available immediately following to treatment to assist in recovery and experience integration?
- Who delivers these services? What is their background, training and experience?
- What, if any, follow-up occurs after you have returned from treatment?
- Does the provider offer an Ibogaine Aftercare program or work closely with recognized Ibogaine Aftercare providers?
As in selecting any service, we recommend that you consider the following:
- How many Ibogaine treatments has the provider delivered?
- How long has the provider been in business?
- Is the business licensed?
- Who owns the business and what is their background?
- Has the provider ever experienced an adverse outcome requiring emergency response?
Provider Transparency and Openness
Your provider should be open, honest and transparent in response to any questions and/or concerns that you express. For example:
- How detailed and transparent is the provider in describing their program?
- Will the provider share information on the medical qualifications and training of their staff? Is this information accurate?
- Will the provider allow access to key medical personnel i.e. director or equivalent to answer questions and discuss their program?
- Is cost and payment information readily available?
What is like to interaction with the provider as a business entity?
- Does the provider have a website? How useful, accurate and transparent is it?
- Is it easy to contact the provider?
- How responsive and timely is the provider to inquiries?
- Are those responding to inquiries knowledgeable and helpful?
Location and Logistics
Most likely you will be travelling to the provider’s facility and need to consider the following:
- Where is the facility located? Is it close to a major airport?
- Are there safety and/or health concerns related to the location?
- What services does the provider offer in transporting patients to/from their facility and airport?
- What costs are associated with travel to/from the provider’s facility?
- What payment options are available?
Cost is not synonymous with value and selecting the lowest cost for Ibogaine treatment. Ideally the cost should fall within a ‘normally accepted’ market range. HPL’s experience is that a treatment program that conforms to the minimally acceptable treatment model described in the Treatment and Therapy Program Section would typically fall in the $6000 – $8000 range for opioid addiction. However, depending on the substances used, a higher and more costly level of care may be required.
Recognize Red Flags
- With the tremendous interest in Ibogaine treatment, there has been an influx of unprofessional people who place monetary gain ahead of patient welfare.
- Here are some red flags that could alert you to facilities with questionable ethics-
- Unrealistic cost estimates – specifically if they are abnormally low.
- Unawareness of Global Ibogaine Therapy Alliance (GITA) guidelines and/or a program that dramatically diverges from these guidelines.
- Unrealistic claims of Ibogaine treatment efficacy – specifically that Ibogaine treatment alone is an addiction cure.
- Lack of transparency with respect to treatment protocol, personnel and facilities. Your provider should be open to answering all questions and addressing your concerns.
- Unwillingness to make any medical personnel available for a conversation.
- Inconsistency between public information e.g. as shared on a provider’s website and that determined during the assessment process. A good example would be inconsistencies between key medical personnel identified in public sites and those delivering the services.
- Inordinate amount of negative reviews, testimonials and social media commentary. In view of the limited sample size both positive and negative reviews should be viewed with a ‘grain of salt’ – however a large preponderance of negative reviews should be a concern.
- Disparaging remarks about competitor providers.
Connection and Personalization
One or more of the providers you’re considering ay ‘rate equivalent’ and you may not be able to differentiate based on the above considerations alone. In addition to all the considerations listed above, what is your intuition telling you about an Ibogaine provider?
Try to gauge your level of comfort and confidence in a specific provider. Things to consider include:
- Did the provider express an interest in your specific situation/condition?
- Did the provider discuss how your specific situation/condition might impact the safety and effectiveness of your treatment? Are there any special concerns?
- Did you develop a rapport with the provider? With the provider’s key medical staff? Did they install confidence?
Higher Path Living is an Ibogaine aftercare residence located in the United States. If you or a loved one is interested in following Ibogaine treatment with a holistic aftercare program, we would be glad to help you choose an Ibogaine provider. Call us at: (702)329-4321.
Disclaimer: The information on this website is offered for informational use only and is not intended for use in diagnosing any disease or condition or prescribing any treatment Higher Path Living created “12 Considerations for Choosing an Ibogaine Provider” as a public service. The decision to use a specific Ibogaine provider is the sole responsibility of the individual seeking treatment. Higher Path Living specifically disclaims any liability, loss, injury, or damage incurred as a consequence, directly or indirectly, of the use and application of any of the contents at www.hplving.com. Use of Ibogaine is prohibited by law in the United States. Individuals seeking Ibogaine treatment must venture outside the US. We are not advocating the use of Ibogaine without appropriate professional guidance and monitoring, or without careful personal evaluation of potential risks and hazards.