SMART Recovery after Ibogaine
The purpose of SMART Recovery is to support individuals who have chosen to abstain, or are considering abstinence from any type of addictive behaviors (substances or activities), by teaching how to change self-defeating thinking, emotions, and actions; and to work towards long-term satisfactions and quality of life.
Higher Path Living supports and uses SMART Recovery after ibogaine as an alternative to 12-Step Programs.
SMART Recovery’s approach to addiction recovery:
- Teaches self-empowerment and self-reliance
- Encourages individuals to recover and live satisfying lives
- Teaches tools and techniques for self-directed change
- Meetings are educational and include open discussions
- Advocates the appropriate use of prescribed medications and psychological treatments
- Evolves as scientific knowledge of addiction recovery evolves
4-Point Program. SMART Recovery (Self-Management And Recovery Training) helps individuals gain independence from addiction (substances or activities). Our efforts are based on scientific knowledge and evolve as scientific knowledge evolves.
The 4-Point Program offers specific tools and techniques for each of the program points:
- Building and Maintaining Motivation
- Coping with Urges
- Managing Thoughts, Feelings and Behaviors
- Living a Balanced Life
SMART Tools and Techniques. The SMART Recovery 4-Point Program employs a variety of tools and techniques to help individuals gain independence from addiction and addictive behaviors. Participants are encouraged to learn how to use each tool and to practice the tools and techniques as they progress toward Point 4 of the program – achieving lifestyle balance and leading a fulfilling and healthy life. These tools include:
- Stages of Change
- Change Plan Worksheet
- Cost/Benefit Analysis (Decision Making Worksheet)
- ABCs of REBT* for Urge Coping
- ABCs of REBT* for Emotional Upsets
- DISARM (Destructive Images and Self-talk Awareness & Refusal Method)
- Hierarchy of Values
- Role-playing and Rehearsing
- USA (Unconditional Self-Acceptance)
*(REBT stands for Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy and is an action-oriented approach to managing cognitive, emotional, and behavioral disturbances.)
Recognition. SMART Recovery is a recognized resource for substance abuse and addiction recovery by the American Academy of Family Physicians, the Center for Health Care Evaluation, The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), US Department of Health and Human Services, and the American Society of Addiction Medicine.